1. The Problem May Be Too Big

According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), homeowners should only try to remove mold themselves in areas less than 10 square feet. A leaking roof may only create such a small space of mold; however, storm damage, a flooded basement, burst pipes and other water damage cases can cause larger mold problems.


2. Mold Causes Structural Damage

Mold infestation can sometimes occur as a result of poor ventilation or excess humidity. However, in the case mold growth due to water damage in a business or home, water may be the underlying problem. When mold grows on insulation, drywall, ceiling or flooring, this can be an indication of structural damage. In such cases, it is important to remove and replace the materials safely.


3. Destroying Only The Surface Mold Isn't Enough

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends that one wear proper gear (rubber gloves, boots, dust mask, and goggles) when cleaning moldy items using water mixture and bleach. However, to be safe, mold must be completely eradicated. The CDC notes that mold (“dead” or “alive”) can easily cause asthma and other allergic reactions.

Mold has been found to grow on both the surface and the inside of building materials, and this means that destroying only the visible mold leaves the rest free to release more spores into the air and destroy more materials. Mold removal specialists have the required equipment and expertise to accomplish the task successfully.


4. Mold Has Serious Health Effects

According to professionals, mold can cause serious health complications such as poisoning from mycotoxins and fungal lung infections. However, the most common health risk is allergic reactions. These reactions may include sinus problems, irritated eyes and skin, headaches, hoarseness and throat irritation, chronic coughing or wheezing and sneezing. Mold can also cause asthma attacks and migraines.

With all these health problems, mold removal should be done as quickly as possible, especially if those who live or spend time in the building are allergic, asthmatic, or have weak immune systems. Hiring a specialist to remove the mold will ensure that it is gone completely on the first pass.


5. Disposing Any Damaged Material is a Big Hassle

Materials that are damaged by water and mold have to be disposed of properly. The resulting garbage and debris of a bad infestation are often more than what property owners are willing to handle. Disposal contractors also have local rules and codes that prevent disposing building materials in the normal trash pickup. A specialist, on the other hand, will most often have disposal procedures to use in these situations.